When to do First Oil change? I'm hearing all sorts of opinions.

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: When to do First Oil change? I'm hearing all sorts of opinions.

When to do First Oil change? I'm hearing all sorts of opinions.

2016 hyper blue limited with CVT. Salesman told me 6000 miles. Others here say 3000. some say 6000 or 6 months whatever comes first. I have 3000 miles on my car and have had it for almost 6 months. Does that mean I can wait till 6000 miles which could be another half a year or do I do it now?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

6000 miles or six months is correct, just like it says in the manual. You need to follow the manual in order to keep up the warranty and get the best service from your car. Some people like to do it earlier for peace of mind as the first oil change gets rid of an inordinate amount of construction and initial wear debris but do not exceed either the time or mileage. Used oil contains acids from byproducts of combustion which need to be flushed in a timely manner.

It depends. If running full Synthetic oil, you can go the 6,000 to 6,500 miles between changes.
    Synthetic costs more but you can go longer between changes.
    Conventional oil (non-synthetic) breaks down faster and requires changing around 3,000 miles.
    Lots of folks prefer to do their first change between 500-1,000 to get rid of ant shavings left from manufacturing.

Sent using Tapatalk Pro
    Don't Confuse My Personality With My Attitude...My Personality is Who I Am, My Attitude Depends On Who You Are...

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Personally, I think the months thing is a crock. Oil is very stable. It is heat from moving pistons that breaks down the viscosity. You'll also probably see that even when using full Synthetic most garages will still write next change in months and about 3,000 miles. Ignore it in my op.

Sent using Tapatalk Pro
    Don't Confuse My Personality With My Attitude...My Personality is Who I Am, My Attitude Depends On Who You Are...

Months is not a crock. Consider the proverbial little old lady with her 0.5 mile trips to the grocery store. As her car never gets hot, impurities are never properly burned off. Oil on its own is stable for years in a sealed container - in an engine not so much.
    FYI we all use synthetic now as required in the manual.

Also, even though modern production methods mean very little wear items find their way into the oil during break-in, I still change mine myself well before 6k (2k - 3k). Then I do it every 5k afterwards. It's easy and inexpensive, and I'm over 40 so I'm old school like that.

Quote Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
    6000 miles or six months is correct, just like it says in the manual. You need to follow the manual in order to keep up the warranty and get the best service from your car. Some people like to do it earlier for peace of mind as the first oil change gets rid of an inordinate amount of construction and initial wear debris but do not exceed either the time or mileage. Used oil contains acids from byproducts of combustion which need to be flushed in a timely manner.
    I will check the warranty maintenance book again , but I don't recall it saying change the oil at 6000 mile OR 6 months. Just to change it at 6000 miles, however long it takes you to get to 6000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePDX View Post
    I will check the warranty maintenance book again , but I don't recall it saying change the oil at 6000 mile OR 6 months. Just to change it at 6000 miles, however long it takes you to get to 6000 miles.
    Yup, check your owners manual.

I stand corrected.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...&postcount=401

Check the header. Each item is under a months/miles heading, meaning whichever comes first.

6K or 6 Months. You are in the same situation as me when I brought it in for first oil change. The first oil change for 2015 was 3000 miles for some reason. The dealer actually told me I missed the first oil change and did the first and second oil change together instead because I passed 3000 miles by a 1000 miles and was right a little before 6 months was up.

Quote Originally Posted by orndog View Post
    Months is not a crock. Consider the proverbial little old lady with her 0.5 mile trips to the grocery store. As her car never gets hot, impurities are never properly burned off.
    This is true. My comment was meant in the vein of normal operating parameters. Not an elderly "woman" who drives 1/2 a mike a day.
    In the scenario, moisture is the devil.

Sent using Tapatalk Pro

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast