When to do First Oil change? I'm hearing all sorts of opinions. - Page 2

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: When to do First Oil change? I'm hearing all sorts of opinions.

I had three free oil changes from the dealer. First one was @ 3,000, MY choice/decision, justified it cause I wanted to get rid of the "break-in" oil it came with. After that at about 5,000 miles.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Subaru don't use break in oil. You dumped the same oil that Subaru uses for oil changes. Honda is the only model I've owned this century that used break in oil.

YES< TRUE I just "called it" break -in oil, I know they don't use such a thing, they use the same oil we buy @ the Subie dealer. I knew that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I get it, You just meant oil used during break in. I'll bet many people didn't know there was such a thing as oil specially designed to be used to help with breaking in an engine. Their use used to be common in older cars and people rebuilding old engines still use it. Modern materials and methods make it largely a thing of the past, like not using synthetic oil until break in was complete. Now, many cars come with synthetic oil from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
    I get it, You just meant oil used during break in. I'll bet many people didn't know there was such a thing as oil specially designed to be used to help with breaking in an engine. Their use used to be common in older cars and people rebuilding old engines still use it. Modern materials and methods make it largely a thing of the past, like not using synthetic oil until break in was complete. Now, many cars come with synthetic oil from the factory.
    Completely agree. I was posting earlier on in concerns over years being with Volkswagen. Here's a very informative thread on factory break in procedures, perhaps some are followed by Subaru.

TDIClub Forums - View Single Post - New engine break in at the factory

My 83 year old dad has a 2015 WRX he never drives. It has 3000 miles on it. He's never changed the oil. Probably should do it since the oil is two years old lol It will Probably be mine eventually so he needs to take care of it!

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePDX View Post
    My 83 year old dad has a 2015 WRX he never drives. It has 3000 miles on it. He's never changed the oil. Probably should do it since the oil is two years old lol It will Probably be mine eventually so he needs to take care of it!
    If that's the case, maybe he is sending you a message saying that you are the guy that will be maintaining it!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2