Roof rack impact on fuel economy (and fuel economy tips)

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By vahallaoven

Thread: Roof rack impact on fuel economy (and fuel economy tips)

Roof rack impact on fuel economy (and fuel economy tips)

Found this article on cartalk. Something to think about as you carry your kayak, bike, roof rack... etc to work everyday.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I don't normally have the basket on top (it's only about 15 minutes to mount/dismount) but we do leave on the crossbars. Still managed 30.1 MPG this week despite yesterdays off-pavement trip running the AC most of the time...not too shabby.
    Last edited by Dynablue; 08-01-2016 at 05:37 AM.

"Jake" - 2016 Quartz Blue Pearl CVT Limited w/Eyesight/Moonroof/7" Nav
    During the week, a mild-mannered daily commuter, but during the weekend it transforms into an off-road powerhouse capable of clearing 8.6" boulders in a single bound!

2003 Forester 2.5x auto. Being set up as the official trail car.

Off-road/Camping Equipment

Current Meet Details --> None

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I was carrying my crossbars and Reese rack all the time. Which obviously took a toll on my mpg. Then my brother and I made a much bigger, but much lower profile rack to put directly onto the roof side rails. My mpg went back up significantly. Then I mounted the 42" light bar. And I'm back down.

My last couple tanks have been around 27 combined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RallyeBourne View Post
    I was carrying my crossbars and Reese rack all the time. Which obviously took a toll on my mpg. Then my brother and I made a much bigger, but much lower profile rack to put directly onto the roof side rails. My mpg went back up significantly. Then I mounted the 42" light bar. And I'm back down.

You are just moddin' the heck outta that car!

"Jake" - 2016 Quartz Blue Pearl CVT Limited w/Eyesight/Moonroof/7" Nav
    During the week, a mild-mannered daily commuter, but during the weekend it transforms into an off-road powerhouse capable of clearing 8.6" boulders in a single bound!

2003 Forester 2.5x auto. Being set up as the official trail car.

Off-road/Camping Equipment

Current Meet Details --> None

Quote Originally Posted by Dynablue View Post
    You are just moddin' the heck outta that car!
    You know it! I love this thing. Best vehicle I've ever had. Time will tell if it's the most reliable, but so far it is. Especially considering the abuse I've put her through!

Quote Originally Posted by RallyeBourne View Post

can you post a pic of the rack?
    2015 XVR 5 spd
    Modifications:
    K&N drop in.
    5" axleback Exhaust from Nameless Performance.

Sure thing, but I'm limited on pics right now. Just got a new phone and I'm 265 miles away from my car right now.

This one was the day after we finished it.

Still need to iron out the mounting hardware. Right now, it's just U-Bolted on, but it looks a little cheap that way.

The rack is 42" wide X 54" long (if I remember correctly). I absolutely love it. It's a beast, super rigid, about the same weight as my old crossbar and basket setup, but gives me 3 times the storage. And being so much lower profile, like I said, my mpg went up until I mounted my 42" light bar.

Here's a pic of my old setup for comparison.

Looks good!!! I have been considering making something more low profile for my car. I wont be adding lights up there as they are not legal if I want to run the ALCan rally.
    2015 XVR 5 spd
    Modifications:
    K&N drop in.
    5" axleback Exhaust from Nameless Performance.

+ Reply to Thread