Looking to improve my fog lights

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Looking to improve my fog lights

QuestionLooking to improve my fog lights

Yesterday driving home it was quite foggy in my area. The 2016 Crosstrek fog lights are not as good as was expecting.
    I am looking to upgrade my set to some LED ones. I have done a lot of online research and I think I have narrowed down what ones I can afford right now and would be best for me.
    Has anyone seen and/or used these type of iDulmina bulbs? http://a.co/aUDcoit

LEDbulb.jpg
    LEDbulb2.jpg

Amazon says that it will not fit in the Crosstrek and I can see it might not fit as a headlight bulb, but I would think the foglight assembly would be able to accommodate the size.
    My Crosstrek is equipped with the Eyesight system so the fog lights are use H11 size sockets.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I tried using a very similarly shaped bulb from Diode Dynamics in a '14 Crosstrek's fog light housings. The big base is very heavy and I think it was too much for the retainer clips that hold the bulbs in the back of the stock reflector. One of them cracked and the bulb wouldn't stay firmly attached.

I was able to return them to DD and instead went for the whole housing Luxeon replacement. I am pleased with how they work. The ones that fit my Crosstrek come in and out of stock on their site so I can't check right now to see if they fit the 2016.

Do you have the Eyesight system on your 2014 icbm? I found a manual online and it just says you use a PSX24W bulb in the fog light. This would be a smaller socket so the retaining clips might be different.
    I am going to try this anyway and I will let everyone know how I make out.

I don't see why those Amazon bulbs wouldn't fit. They're H11 bulbs which are the ones you need for the fogs.

MY\y 2 cents... I recently put on some XML2 fog bulbs from Diode Dynamics... awesome light output. They put the stock low beams to shame and now got me thinking about changing those to LEDs. Maybe Morimotos.

One last thing, DD is a forum sponsor and offers a discount for forum members and they're great on responding back with questions/concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by OutbackKen View Post
    Do you have the Eyesight system on your 2014 icbm? I found a manual online and it just says you use a PSX24W bulb in the fog light. This would be a smaller socket so the retaining clips might be different.
    I am going to try this anyway and I will let everyone know how I make out.
    No, my car doesn't have Eyesight. The stock bulb was a PSX24W, the Diode Dynamics model I tried was the XML2. They had the same clips for the PSX24Ws but I think the base was too heavy for the little ear retainers.

Now that I look more closely at the picture on Amazon, it looks like the ones for Eyesight are held in with a twist-lock. That's probably much better than the little PSX24W fasteners.

DD sells the XML2s with the twist-lock fastener too:
    Fog Light LEDs for 2015-2017 Subaru XV Crosstrek (Eyesight Package) (pair) - XV Crosstrek - Subaru - Products By Vehicle

projectors with hids or bight led kit is the way to go. The stock fogs emit the lights more to the sides rather than straight.

Quote Originally Posted by ucsmfu View Post
    projectors with hids or bight led kit is the way to go. The stock fogs emit the lights more to the sides rather than straight.
    I agree.. but expensive. Already have quad bi-xenon... imagine I have ... 6 HID projectors... that's just crazy. lol

Octo-Bi-Xeon? I might get pulled over XD

... waiting for the weather... so I can install these ...

I say no to fog light cover / laminate...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast