How do you apply Dynamat speaker sound deadening material?

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Gachrid
  • 1 Post By rlouie
  • 2 Post By GT-Tom

Thread: How do you apply Dynamat speaker sound deadening material?

How do you apply Dynamat speaker sound deadening material?

I am planning on installing the Kicker speaker upgrade. I've seen a few photos and remarks about using sound dreading material like Dynamat to improve the sound quality. My question is how much to use and where to best apply the material in the doors? I found the Dynamat material at Best Buy locally but at $40 for 4 sq ft it looks like an expensive process. On the package of Dynamat it recommended covering the entire inside of the door replacing the waterproof door barrier. I've seen some posts where someone used a product from Home Depot. I have some of this insulation and the foam does not appear to be as heavy or dense. Will it still work?

Thanks ,
    Tom
    2013 XV Crosstrek Limited CVT - Black w/ Ivory leather. Mods: - Factory look LED DRL, Nokya CREE LED fog lights, spoiler, SS rear step protector, rear hatch LED cargo light, sound proofing, Hella horns, sunscreen window tint, chrome fog light rear reflector surrounds, chrome side trim, Self dimming mirror with home link.......
    2014 Honda Ridgeline RTL

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Haven't done it on this car but I have on others. I don't think you need to cover the door in this application. The kicker speakers do not put out enough power to need to worry about sound deadening the entire door. Stick to around the speaker area to deaden any vibrations. This is covered in the Polk Best Buy thread towards the end.

It's very easy to apply. Cut what you want, lay it down, heat it, and use a roller to push it down. If you were covering the entire door you could remove the barrier since the Dynamat would seal the door (if done correctly) but don't worry about that. Stick to around the speaker and work outwards if you need to add.

I personally like the dynamat product but there are many alternatives like stinger, raammat, fatmat, ect. and many are cheaper. I have tried fatmat and its good but I felt dynamat was better b/c it stuck better and was thicker. I will be doing a write up on my speaker replace/dynamat install soon so look out for that. The best way to install it is to make a template and precut the mat to the shape of the template and stick it on- I use a roller to ensure its fully stuck to the door skin. I put some directly behind the speaker and strips where ever they fit inside the door (against the body sheetmetal) and try to cover the whole metal panel the door skin snaps on to. The key is to seal the holes to provide a good sealed enclosure for your speaker IMHO. If you can wait until this weekend I will video for you.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    According to most sources I've read, you really only need 25% coverage on a surface to make a difference. So, you don't need to cover everything... unless of course, you happen to be selling the stuff !

But before you go too far down the road of sound deadening/proofing/dampening, you need to decide exactly what you want to do and what you want to stop.

The heavy mat type stuff like Dynamat (or the bunch of other stuff out there) is great for one purpose - to add weight/mass to a surface in order to reduce the vibrations of that surface. That's it. So if you want to stop the door from vibrating to the music, then the Dynamat stuff is what you are looking for.

However, if you want to reduce the level of ROAD noise, Dynamat will help but it's not what it's for (unless you talk to the guys selling it of course). What you want is something that will reduce the sound transmission characteristics of the door either by absorbing it or reflecting it. There's lots of stuff out there for that but the funny thing is there isn't anything that's really name brand (unlike the other stuff). People use stuff like Mass Loaded Vinyl, Closed Cell Foam, as well as some fuzzy stuff like JUTE - none of them are name brands but rather the names of the material.

I wanted to tackle this project over the weekend so I plunged ahead.

Checking some other car forums indicated the Frost King insulation was OK to use for some sound proofing in other areas of the car but for vibration cancelling a Product like Dynamat was better. I talked to a local Audio installer and they use Dynamat for their installs. They recommended for best performance of the door speakers, completely cover all the holes on the inside of the door with this material. That makes the door act as a speaker cabinet for the speaker and also insulates out the road noise.

After removing the door panels I removed the plastic moisture barrier and all the sticky goop. Notice the factory does use a couple of pieces of rubber to seal the holes from road noise.
    IMG_1566.jpgIMG_1576.jpg
    I made a template from paper to get a rough shape of the door and traced this onto 2 12 X 36 pieces of Dynamat. I cut the Dynamat bigger than need to allow for losing some area to the contours of the door. Clean the door surface with alcohol so the self-sticking mat has a good adherence. I pulled out all the wire grommets to make it easier to apply the mat behind the wires. Carefully cut slices and holes as you apply the Dynamat to run the wires and door cables. Peel the paper off the back of the mat as you go along then use a wallpaper roller to make sure the mat stick in all the small nooks. You can use small scraps later to cover up the cuts. It is important that the mat stick well to the metal to most effective in cancelling vibration.
    IMG_1578.jpgIMG_1579.jpgIMG_1585.jpg
    I also pulled the door cover off the opposite door so I could use that door as a template to punch all the holes through the Dynamat for the wire grommets and panel clips. The hardest part was actually finding all the little holes for the wire clips and panel clips. After applying the Dynamat remove the old speaker and install the new Kicker speaker. (Easiest part).

Repeat for the other doors.

When I did the tweeters I used a couple of small buttons of Dynamat under each screw to isolate the tweeters from the plastic dash. I also cut a couple of pieces of the rubber mat from the door water barrier plastic to stuff under the tweeter grill to make sure the grills did not vibrate.

I used the left over scraps to line the spare tire to reduce road noise in that area.
    2013 XV Crosstrek Limited CVT - Black w/ Ivory leather. Mods: - Factory look LED DRL, Nokya CREE LED fog lights, spoiler, SS rear step protector, rear hatch LED cargo light, sound proofing, Hella horns, sunscreen window tint, chrome fog light rear reflector surrounds, chrome side trim, Self dimming mirror with home link.......
    2014 Honda Ridgeline RTL

+ Reply to Thread