Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

Modifying/hacking the Head Unit

129K views 61 replies 37 participants last post by  BillLin 
#1 ·
Hey guys! I just got my first subaru this saturday and immediately fell in love with my XV. It did not take long for me to start thinking of ways to mod/hack the head unit to extend some of the features (I'm a EE student with an interest in embedded systems).

It seems like the starlink system and the general infotainment system really grinds peoples gears. I have been inspired by this post on the outback forums to start some research and I wanted to make a thread to see what you guys think. Let me present my findings:

My XV has a head unit that says CM644UL right on the front and comes with the ever wonderful Starlink. I got to looking around and determined that this unit was made by Clarion (confirmed by this article). Assuming that Clarion was not about to completely redesign the internal hardware, my model must be based on one of the three models that support "Smart Access" (NX605, NX604, or FX503) because that is what Starlink is based on.

Now there are some interesting possibilities with this assumption that I would like to test out:

1) The XV hardware may be able to be extended to add the extra ports on the Clarion branded models. HDMI, SiriusXM, microphone jack, ect.. Check out this installation guide for a better idea

2)We may be able to install the OS from these Clarion models. This upgrade guide looks very similar to how my system would work. And I hit the upgrade button and it said no USB detected, so it may be as easy as plugging in a flash drive.

3) CUSTOMIZEABLE OS!! It looks like parts of the Clarion software are under the GPL/LGPL open source license. This is kinda the holy grail for me.

I haven't had much time yet to test these ideas but I thought it would be worth it to bounce it off the community. What do you guys think?

See less See more
#3 ·
No offense intended with this comment, but why bother? Seems like you would be better served by installing a quality aftermarket unit. No modifying/hacking involved and you would probably get a better unit all around.

Reactions: WhyNotV2
#5 ·
I definitely support what you are doing and have had my hands in code before (though not in this type of application). I suppose as a hobbyist activity, it is worthwhile. Have fun!

Reactions: WhyNotV2
#6 · (Edited)
Woah! I posted something similar on Reddit /r/XVcrosstrek. Please let me know if you find anything out or if I can help in any way. I'm tired of the stock head unit and want to alter it if possible instead of buying a new one. Supposedly the CM644UL has a secret/diagnostics menu I have yet to access. I looked through every possible source and had no luck. If it is a real menu would it help you? Also for the USB I think it needs to be formatted to FAT32 to be recognized (not 100% sure, but it's in the manual).
Feel free to contact me through email or on this forum - kennyhunter96@gmail.com

EDIT: found another person looking to achieve the same goal. http://www.clubcrosstrek.com/forums/f25/2015-6-2-inch-infotainment-mods-2833.html
EDIT 2: A parts page that may help: http://www.pacparts.com/part_model.cfm?mfg=CLARION&model_id=PF3678AA&row_start=1&src_model_id=&action=list_part

#9 ·
Supposedly the CM644UL has a secret/diagnostics menu I have yet to access. I looked through every possible source and had no luck. If it is a real menu would it help you? Also for the USB I think it needs to be formatted to FAT32 to be recognized (not 100% sure, but it's in the manual).
Awesome! I'm glad other people are working on this with me! I have been looking for the fabled hidden diagnostics menu, and I will be crawling through manual today to see what I can find.

Something that would really be awesome to find is the files on the flash drive used to update the head unit. Something like this may be online or at a dealership but this would be good incase something goes wrong. I want to try and install the Clarion software but only after I can fix any issues that may come up

#13 ·
#17 ·
I am interested too. I got nowhere contacting both Subaru and Clarion Re the open source code availability mentioned in the manual - just via the regular support line, I think they did not really know what I was talking about. Even small simple mods would be fun, e.g. change the background image for the screen, which I understand is feature on the HU with Nav, but was quite disappointed to learn not a feature on the non-nav unit.

#21 ·
I can use the wheel controls to do things in Spotify like next/prev and pause/play. Integrated functionality won't happen until android auto, I'll bet.

#24 ·
So I took delivery on my 2016 Hyper Blue Premium 5MT last night.
Yes controls for skipping while streaming Spotify over BT, work more or less fine.
The artist and track info display on the head unit too.

The only problem I see, and I assume it is because I am using the Android Spotify app on a BlackBerry 10 device, is that when the song changes, the info doesn't update on the head unit and there is no album art.
Can anyone confirm that has android that this isn't a problem for them?

#25 ·
i have the base stereo in my 2014 premium and streaming BT with pandora, iheart, amazon music all work fine with the steering wheel controls. i know that doesnt help but just input from a lesser stereo

Reactions: xRuhRohx
#26 ·
I have the same issue with Pandora over the BT Audio. When I run Pandora on my phone and stream it through the BT Audio on the head unit I get no updated information and it stays on the same song info even if it has advanced to another. Pandora app on the head unit through starlink is worthless. I've never been able to get that to work in any sense. Only once, for a few minutes drive and never again. I echo what I said above. Fired...all day long.

#27 ·
So I connected an android device with BT and opened Spotify.
The track info gets updated every time the song changes.
So the issue is definitely that I am using an android app on a BlackBerry.

The only way for me to get the track info to update is to switch source and then switch back to BT Audio.

#28 ·
anyone had any luck obtain source code for CM644UL? I am not having any luck. The Subaru manual for this head unit states: "This system implements software using the open source. For customers who would like to get the source code of the software, it is available by downloading it from the website of Clarion Co., Ltd. For details, refer to the following website. http://www.clarion.com/us/en/support/index.html" however there is no source code available there. I contacted both Subaru and Clarion technical support and they did not have any idea what I was looking for.

Then I found this website Clarion U.S.A | Open Source Code Site which states: The product you have purchased utilizes software to which GPL/LGPL are applied. You are entitled to acquire, modify and/or redistribute the source codes of the software to which GPL/LGPL are applied. If you wish to acquire the source codes, please contact Clarion’s Customer Service Office as below:

Clarion Corporation of America
Product Planning Dept. TEL:310-217-4386
M to F. 9AM - 5PM.

So I called this number and the person that answered seemed confused about why I was calling. Finally he determined that I needed to get routed to the OEM division and had me send him an email that he was going to route somewhere else. But crickets since then. I think it is impossible to obtain any source code for open source parts of the software. It is frustrating that the Subaru manual, and clarion web site say you can get it, but then as a practical matter it turns out to be impossible to get it.

#29 ·
anyone had any luck obtain source code for CM644UL? I am not having any luck. The Subaru manual for this head unit states: "This system implements software using the open source. For customers who would like to get the source code of the software, it is available by downloading it from the website of Clarion Co., Ltd. For details, refer to the following website. http://www.clarion.com/us/en/support/index.html" however there is no source code available there. I contacted both Subaru and Clarion technical support and they did not have any idea what I was looking for.

Then I found this website Clarion U.S.A | Open Source Code Site which states: The product you have purchased utilizes software to which GPL/LGPL are applied. You are entitled to acquire, modify and/or redistribute the source codes of the software to which GPL/LGPL are applied. If you wish to acquire the source codes, please contact Clarion’s Customer Service Office as below:

Clarion Corporation of America
Product Planning Dept. TEL:310-217-4386
M to F. 9AM - 5PM.

So I called this number and the person that answered seemed confused about why I was calling. Finally he determined that I needed to get routed to the OEM division and had me send him an email that he was going to route somewhere else. But crickets since then. I think it is impossible to obtain any source code for open source parts of the software. It is frustrating that the Subaru manual, and clarion web site say you can get it, but then as a practical matter it turns out to be impossible to get it.
Lets say you get your hands on the source code. And lets then say that you are able to successfully build it.

Would you actually know how to flash your new image to the unit?
And would there be a way to backup the original in case you totally mess things up?

#33 · (Edited)
Probably not... you're lacking hardware.

http://www.fujitsu-ten.com/support/source/oem/14f/sourcecode.zip
Clarion is a brand under the Fujitsu-ten company.
Hence, that's where to find the code.

The licence agreement for its use is here
Licence Information
How did you get to this page?
How do you know what model number it's for?
The only think that identifies it is the "14f" in the URL and that doesn't really tell anyone anything.

I doubt that this is what the OP is looking for.

#37 ·
It's not something that's as simple as flashing Android Auto. First, it has to be compatible with the HU, and I highly doubt that it has the hardware to even support it. Then, you're talking about someone getting their hands on the kernel source code and the firmware source code, getting the drivers to run the HU functions, merging everything together, and getting a flash utility to actually flash the firmware. First we have to assume that the firmware is actually flashable on this device. Long store short, don't count on anything coming to the stock HU. I can't think of any electrical engineer here who would be willing to waste their time on a crappy HU to begin with.