sound deadening fail

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rlouie

Thread: sound deadening fail

sound deadening fail

so I installed some sound deadening to my front driver door today and when reinstalling the panel, I realized that there's a decent gap between the panel and the window. I'm thinking I went to far up with some of the foam and its blocking a snug fit. too dark now to work on it, but has anyone else ran into this. I feel stupid, but there's a learning curve with everything...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Out of curiosity, what type of material did you use?
    '15 XV Crosstrek, 2.0i Limited with Eyesight, Desert Khaki
    '02 Outback Wagon, 2.5i (Retired)

ordered raammat and ensolite from raam audio. only got enough to do the front two doors for now, may find another avenue after more research

Super Moderator
    The only real way to have a gap between the panel and the window is that the panel isn't hooked into the metal door frame. If you put too much thick material at the top, the panel would either not hook in OR the panel will budge at the top near the frame as you try to put the panel back in place.

The Ensolite stuff is pretty thin so I think you probably didn't hook the panel into the door frame correctly.

As for an alternative to raamat, have a look at GTMat on amazon. The pricing is much more attractive.

It would be great if you post some pictures! I had put gtmat on the back side of the outside skin of the doors and tailgate covering area at least 30%. Between the plastic vapor barrier and the door panel I also notice pockets of space. I layered and roiled pieces of jute padding in those pockets, using duck tape to hold in place until the panel was put back. Make sure you don't cover up the drain holes that are located in the bottom of door. This helps any moisture or water get out.

Quote Originally Posted by nhwalton View Post
    so I installed some sound deadening to my front driver door today and when reinstalling the panel, I realized that there's a decent gap between the panel and the window. I'm thinking I went to far up with some of the foam and its blocking a snug fit. too dark now to work on it, but has anyone else ran into this. I feel stupid, but there's a learning curve with everything...

Are you 100% sure you have not covered one of the mounting holes? There is one quite far in the door panel that I covered up and the door panel would not fully snap into place. Look in my build thread. The door panel or "door card" hangs on a metal lip from the top, make sure you hang it first then work your way around the panel attaching each clip.

Quote Originally Posted by coletrain View Post
    Are you 100% sure you have not covered one of the mounting holes? There is one quite far in the door panel that I covered up and the door panel would not fully snap into place. Look in my build thread. The door panel or "door card" hangs on a metal lip from the top, make sure you hang it first then work your way around the panel attaching each clip.
    i know that we didnt cover that inner mounting point because we noticed it right before we went to put the panel back on. i think that metal clip is the culprit. will be looking into it when i get home from work today.

thanks for the input everyone!

+ Reply to Thread