Crosstrek Limited type B stereo - 8 GB USB limit

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Crosstrek Limited type B stereo - 8 GB USB limit

I purchased a 16gb USB2 flash drive, dumped about 3gb of music to it, and the drive is not recognized by the head unit.
    After some research online, I found other subaru owners having issues too - apparently, it wont support flash drives larger than 8GB.
    Though, some have stated that they do work - but, files located past the 8 GB are not recognized.

The Crosstrek manual states NOTHING about a usb storage limit.

So - I am passing this on... and, if anyone is successfully using a USB flash drive larger than 8 GB successfully, please state the name & model of the drive you are using!

Thanks.
    Dom

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Not sure if it matters in your case, but I think I recall there being folder limits, or files per folder limits, when I read about the head unit in the manual. Worth a try, maybe.
    2013 XV Crosstrek Limited in Dark Gray Metallic
    "The Grey Goose"
    Body Side Moldings, Rear Bumper Cover, Splash Guards, Rear Seatback Protectors, Wheel Locks, Husky Weatherbeater Front/Rear Floor Mats

the folder limits IS documented, and no - I didn't exceed folder limits.
    So, it is related - somehow - to the size of the USB drive.

I tried a smaller 4 GB drive, and it worked fine...

I use this one in the XV....no problemo (Edit; And that usb stick is filled with more than 15 GB MP3 and WMA songs)

MAXELL
    USB STICK
    VENTURE/16gb/E200

...and EMTEC 8gb flashdrive ....also no problemo
    Last edited by Mec; 03-20-2013 at 09:17 PM.
    Subaru XV 2.0 TD Exclusive MT6 - Get In, Sit Down, Shut Up, and Hold On Tight!!

Sorry but not flash drive. I use a 32GB hard drive on mine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    2012 Subaru XV 2.0i Premium CVT, DGM
    2010 Subaru Impreza 2.0R Sport 5-speed manual dual-range, DGM

I also noticed some other peculiar things with using a USB flash storage stick.

I had my folders set up like:

Artist#1 / Album 1 / Song tracks....
    / Album 2 / Song tracks...
    Artist#2 / Album 1 / Song tracks...
    / Album 2 / Song tracks...

However, when going from folder to folder, it goes from Artist 1 / album 1 song track 1 to Artist 2 / album 1 - skipping over Artist 1 /album 2.

To get around this, I changed it so that I only have one layer of directories before the song tracks:

Artist 1 album1 - song tracks...
    Artist 1 album2 - song tracks...
    Artist 2 album1 - song tracks...
    Artist 2 album2 - song tracks..

this works..but - what a pain!

I've read on other forums regarding other car radios that the usb drive should be formatted as FAT32 with 512 or 2048 bytes per sector or it won't work. Might want to try this.
    2013 XV Crosstrek Limited in Dark Gray Metallic
    "The Grey Goose"
    Body Side Moldings, Rear Bumper Cover, Splash Guards, Rear Seatback Protectors, Wheel Locks, Husky Weatherbeater Front/Rear Floor Mats

So I bought two new 8 GB as mentioned.
    The first worked fine.

The second however, wasnt recognized - the same condition as I had with the 16 GB.
    I tried reformatting, resetting it and all... its as if its a dead USB stick.

There is something wonky about this USB playback thing... I dont know what it is, or if perhaps, the usb port itself is somehow defective. But if it was defective, I wouldnt think the first 8 GB stick would work at all, but it is consistently working fine.

I find this so frustrating....

Quote Originally Posted by dgcam55 View Post
    So I bought two new 8 GB as mentioned.
    The first worked fine.

The second however, wasnt recognized - the same condition as I had with the 16 GB.
    I tried reformatting, resetting it and all... its as if its a dead USB stick.

There is something wonky about this USB playback thing... I dont know what it is, or if perhaps, the usb port itself is somehow defective. But if it was defective, I wouldnt think the first 8 GB stick would work at all, but it is consistently working fine.

I find this so frustrating....
    Just curious, were these identical 8GB sticks? And what brand/type?

If they are different, they could behave differently so that the USB stack on the stereo would have issues, but if they are identical is smells funny indeed…