2015 XV - Upgrade to 2016 Crosstrek Nav head unit

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By YYZ-XV

Thread: 2015 XV - Upgrade to 2016 Crosstrek Nav head unit

2015 XV - Upgrade to 2016 Crosstrek Nav head unit

Before anyone comments on my HU upgrade - Yes I could have purchased a better aftermarket HU w/Nav. I also could have purchased a Garmin Nav unit or just used a smart phone w/Google maps. I know everyone has their own opinions of the OEM head unit and I agree it's not perfect but I like how it looks. I did the Kicker upgrade just after I purchased my XV. It sounds good to me and that's what counts.

So on with the swap. My 2015 came with the 7" non-nav Fujitsu Ten HU part # 86201Fj660 (Face Plate ID No. FM664UM). I replaced it with a 2016 Crosstrek 7" Nav Fujitsu Ten HU part # 86271FJ650 (Face Plate ID No. FM655UH). Along with the new HU I also needed a GPS antenna and a Micro SD map card.

HU#.jpg < HU label HUback.jpg <HU connections GPSantenna.jpg <GPS antenna gpsant.jpg < antenna location

I was unable to find a used antenna and didn't want to go aftermarket with the adapter plug workaround that others here have used. Fakra antenna adapter The new HU's have a different type of connector and I wanted the piece of mind of knowing the connection was secure to the back of the HU. Also I like the secure mounting location of the oem antenna behind the instrument cluster. On the negative side it was not cheap compared to the generic ones you can get on ebay. GPS antenna purchased - part # 86277FJ110 & mount screw part # 904500013. I did get a good deal on a Micro SD map card on ebay part # 86283FJ650.

The Nav HU has the same harness connectors so there was no need for harness adapters. The original dual port usb, steering wheel switch and microphone work the same. I now have a oem nav and a new toy to play with.

map.jpg

Side notes: The 2016 HU I bought on ebay came with the telematics unit (DCM). Not needed on my 2015 so I removed it. The 8 pin connector on the HU might be for the telematics so no wire connections there. I also went with the Crosstrek HU because some Forester & WRX models need Harmon Kardon amps. Our Crosstreks are not wired for them.

+ Reply to Thread