The New Available Harman Kardon sound system

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread

Finally, a good description of the new available system. Sure wish it would have been available on my 2017.

Subaru Drive - Modes of Operation: All-Around Sound with Harman Kardon (sp17)
    Subaru Ambassador - 2017 Limited, Venetian Red Pearl, Eyesight, Full Kicker upgrade, Nav, moonroof, keyless entry, auto dimming rear view mirror with Homelink and compass, pushbutton start, under seat Alpine MRV-F300 4 channel amp

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Interesting that Subaru claims it is an 8 channel amplifier and Harman Kardon describes it as a 6 channel.
    Subaru Ambassador - 2017 Limited, Venetian Red Pearl, Eyesight, Full Kicker upgrade, Nav, moonroof, keyless entry, auto dimming rear view mirror with Homelink and compass, pushbutton start, under seat Alpine MRV-F300 4 channel amp

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by FLCrosstrekker View Post
    Interesting that Subaru claims it is an 8 channel amplifier and Harman Kardon describes it as a 6 channel.
    I think it might come down to the tweeters again... Subaru basically states that the tweeters count as 2 channels even though they are connected to the front speakers.

Ummmm... audio upgrade with no sub ("Strong bass despite no subwoofer")? Probably an improvement over Subaru's prior "high end" audio system on the Impreza/Crosstrek. Seems like anyone who wants good audio would still be better off getting the base audio and upgrading. Otherwise you have to work around the factory amp to upgrade the system and add a sub.

To be fair, it is probably a decent option for the casual buyer/listener. It would be nice to see something better though.
    2014 Tangerine Orange Pearl XV Crosstrek Limited
    2013 Tangerine Scream Ford Focus ST ST3

Quote Originally Posted by 13ST14XV View Post
    Ummmm... audio upgrade with no sub ("Strong bass despite no subwoofer")? Probably an improvement over Subaru's prior "high end" audio system on the Impreza/Crosstrek. Seems like anyone who wants good audio would still be better off getting the base audio and upgrading. Otherwise you have to work around the factory amp to upgrade the system and add a sub.

To be fair, it is probably a decent option for the casual buyer/listener. It would be nice to see something better though.
    I haven't been in the rear of the HK system... and only loosely looked st others update jobs...

But I think the HK system is like the Bose I had in previous Acura. VERY easy to upgrade.

Use rca pre-outs on new head unit to the HK amp and it handles the rest of matching and power. May not even need to splice wires. My acura metra adapter harness had the rca built right on. Only had to splice maybe 3 rather than 10+

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 13ST14XV View Post

Many complain of too much bass in the forester and outback HK systems. I think due to their unusually large speaker selection for the front doors.

Quote Originally Posted by FLCrosstrekker View Post
    Typo. They state both 6channel, and 8channel in different places on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by Menel View Post
    I haven't been in the rear of the HK system... and only loosely looked st others update jobs...

But I think the HK system is like the Bose I had in previous Acura. VERY easy to upgrade.

Use rca pre-outs on new head unit to the HK amp and it handles the rest of matching and power. May not even need to splice wires. My acura metra adapter harness had the rca built right on. Only had to splice maybe 3 rather than 10+

If it is setup this way, I agree with your point. I have heard some OEM systems are easier than others (others like my ford where you have to keep using the factory amp since it is required for some of the Sync functionality). Hopefully for Subaru owners it is as easy as you say.

Quote Originally Posted by Menel View Post
    Many complain of too much bass in the forester and outback HK systems. I think due to their unusually large speaker selection for the front doors.
    I could see sound staging being off with the larger speakers in the front doors. I will also point out that their "bass" complaint is likely more low-mid than actual what I would call bass frequencies. I get that they are larger speakers, but they will never put out the same low frequencies as a dedicated subwoofer (even small ones).
    2014 Tangerine Orange Pearl XV Crosstrek Limited
    2013 Tangerine Scream Ford Focus ST ST3

+ Reply to Thread