rear seat back protectors (installation)

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

rear seat back protectors (installation)

my xv didn't come with the rear seat back protectors, but I want to get them... what kind of installation do they require? I wasn't sure if it was simple or complicated. I just wanted to be sure before I made the purchase! stories or pics would be awesome! thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I actually saw that thread but i was still confused... One member said that they just attach with buttons. Is it that simple? I was confused why the dealer quoted so much to install them.

The instructions contained in the link that show the push buttons (B) that need to be removed then pushed back in over the seat protectors. Six new buttons are provided, likely slightly longer to accommodate the additional thickness of the protector.

The inflated price is why many refer to dealerships as stealerships.

$40 from an on-line OEM supplier
    $55 (approx) from walking in and buying it at your dealership
    $100 labor for a half hour job or less, priceless.
    so easy you can do it yourself.

Shipping may cancel any price discount benefits but the labor is over-charged in his quote.

Oh wow, sorry good dog, i just saw the pdf instructions you posted in the other thread. Makes much more sense now! Sorry for the confusion! Im gonna try to pick up those trim tools later this week because i definitely could have used them when working on my last car!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

Quote Originally Posted by good dog View Post
    The instructions contained in the link that show the push buttons (B) that need to be removed then pushed back in over the seat protectors. Six new buttons are provided, likely slightly longer to accommodate the additional thickness of the protector.

The inflated price is why many refer to dealerships as stealerships.

$40 from an on-line OEM supplier
    $55 (approx) from walking in and buying it at your dealership
    $100 labor for a half hour job or less, priceless.
    so easy you can do it yourself.

Shipping may cancel any price discount benefits but the labor is over-charged in his quote.
    how do they even justify a $100 labour charge for a 30 minute job. Is there some 1 hour min requirement for labour?

It took me 5 minutes to install them.

DSC06558.jpgDSC06560.jpgDSC06561.jpgDSC06562.jpg

Here's the basics of my installation of the seat back protectors.

The instructions saw 'use an awl' to cut a hole in the top/outside attachment point. (It is an inside the back carpet attachment point, so you get to make the outside hole in your carpet.)

One thing I noticed, you need to be ready for... the metal that the plugs mount into is VERY flexible...it pulls out of shape, pushes back into shape very easily. I was not expecting that at all, so it scared me when I was prying out the original plugs and the metal came up with the plug. If it happens to you, don't sweat it, they push back into shape. Just be careful.

DSC06563.jpgDSC06564.jpg

And the finished product...

For those of you that already did this...since the velcro grabs the original seat back material...where did you mount the folding flaps on the protectors? To the first layer of carpet, so there is another layer of carpet and the rear rubber mat on top...to the second layer of carpet, so only the rear rubber mat is on top? Does it even matter?