2017 Subaru Crosstrek Limited HU Replacement?

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 2017 Subaru Crosstrek Limited HU Replacement?

2017 Subaru Crosstrek Limited HU Replacement?

hey there! I know this is probably still fairly new, but I am trying to see if anyone has done the HU replacement yet on the 2017 Crosstrek limited with NAV. So far, with research, i plan on getting the harness cables from:

AutoHarnessHouse

On there, is says the AXXESS ASWC-1 is not recommended for the steering wheel controls and such, but on the maestro RR doesn't have a version for the 2017 it seems..

I will say, this is my first HU replacement on a newer vehicle like this. My goal is to have everything function exactly the same (don't need XM radio). I am still looking for a headunit that supports Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Suggestions are great!

Also, anyone have a suggestion for the nicest replacement cover piece to replace the current one (for the vents and climate control knobs).

Thank you in advance!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

This was my Build

Stealth Audio Overhaul - Headunit, Amp, Subwoofer

As for the Dash trim piece, the Scosche SU2031B Dash piece is a better reviewed dash trim kit than the Metra one I got.

Also there is a new AXXES harness "ax-sub28swc-6v" That combines "ax-sub28swc" along with the "AX-CAM6V." needed to retain the factory backup camera.

I have the ASWC-1 and have no problems with it. Your '17 is the same as the 15+

And for headunits, as you want both Android and Apple integration, I recommend the Pioneer 4200NEX. Great, well featured head unit.

Quote Originally Posted by DK_XV View Post
    This was my Build

Stealth Audio Overhaul - Headunit, Amp, Subwoofer

As for the Dash trim piece, the Scosche SU2031B Dash piece is a better reviewed dash trim kit than the Metra one I got.

Also there is a new AXXES harness "ax-sub28swc-6v" That combines "ax-sub28swc" along with the "AX-CAM6V." needed to retain the factory backup camera.

I have the ASWC-1 and have no problems with it. Your '17 is the same as the 15+

And for headunits, as you want both Android and Apple integration, I recommend the Pioneer 4200NEX. Great, well featured head unit.
    Thanks so much for that. Appreciate the quick help! That's weird still, that the website says the aswc won't work well. What's the major differences between the two options? Do you know?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I'm not too sure on the differences firsthand, as I have only used the AXXES unit. They both offer the steering wheel controls and the ability to remap the buttons.
    I know there is a specific Maestro unit that has iDatalink or something to that effect that reads vehicle telemetry(gauges and some dials). It's a more expensive controller, and the telemetry features works with only select headunits. (mostly JVC and some Kebwoods). I think the app to customize the controller has a nicer interface tho.
    Otherwise the AXXES is priced well, and does what it says, and although a little funky to program, is cheaper and I've had good luck with the three that I have installed myself in various cars.

Someone might correct me here as it's been a while since I was reading up on the all the specifics when I did my install. But hopefully that helps get you oriented some.

Also in addition to the above, I know that AXXES harness I posted earlier is pre-wired so the AXXES controller just plugs in. Don't have to futz with programming as much and wiring it as it's all done up for you along with the RCA jack and the backup camera connections. So it's a good deal. I do believe Maestro also has a similar harness, as I saw some for other makes, but I never personally researched it.

Also in addition to the above, I know that AXXES harness I posted earlier is pre-wired so the AXXES controller just plugs in. Don't have to futz with programming as much and wiring it as it's all done up for you along with the RCA jack and the backup camera connections. So it's a good deal. I do believe Maestro also has a similar harness, as I saw some for other makes, but I never personally researched it.
    Wow thanks for the reassurance! Couple more questions if anyone feels like helping..

My sales rep told me that this wouldn't void any warrantee, but I want to be absolutely sure I won't run into any issues...

Does this retain the Bluetooth mic?

I also saw the starlink module is located directly under the HU.. I would like to keep it--do I need to relocate it due to a double din taking more space than the factory HU? Do I lose any functionality?

I feel bad for all the questions, seeing as I'm sure they are repetitive ones :/ but I am overly appreciative!

Lastly... That link and everything I am reading says those harnesses and such are for the non nav unit.. Is there no difference in wiring?
    Last edited by mrtoye; 04-21-2017 at 12:17 PM.
    U.S. Coast Guard Active Duty 2009 - current

2017 Subaru crosstrek limited

Oh wow,

So I did some digging, and it looks like the main harness (Power, Speakers etc) is the same (although the illumination wire is on a different line, and the 28pin harness is different, That's the one that has the "advanced" functions (camera, Aux, steering wheel controls) Looks like it might be a 24pin and has things like VSS, GPS etc for the Nav unit. Also the USB ports are different and need a change. Hmm...

Also, no, there is no known adapter to use the existing mic. Its a proprietary unit. So you will have to use the mic that comes from the Head unit.

Lots of info here on what people are doing with the limited trim WRX(also the Forester has the same unit for more cross referencing) which has the same head unit and Starlink telematics - https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...2793285&page=2

Looks like people are not doing a swap and adding an inline amplifier. The Starlink telematics is routed through the head unit and a separate controller to do the voiceover.

TLR its not as easy or straightforward as the non-nav. My apologies for thinking and assuming it was far closer.

Oh wow,

So I did some digging, and it looks like the main harness (Power, Speakers etc) is the same (although the illumination wire is on a different line, and the 28pin harness is different, That's the one that has the "advanced" functions (camera, Aux, steering wheel controls) Looks like it might be a 24pin and has things like VSS, GPS etc for the Nav unit. Also the USB ports are different and need a change. Hmm...

Also, no, there is no known adapter to use the existing mic. Its a proprietary unit. So you will have to use the mic that comes from the Head unit.

Lots of info here on what people are doing with the limited trim WRX(also the Forester has the same unit for more cross referencing) which has the same head unit and Starlink telematics - https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...2793285&page=2

Looks like people are not doing a swap and adding an inline amplifier. The Starlink telematics is routed through the head unit and a separate controller to do the voiceover.

TLR its not as easy or straightforward as the non-nav. My apologies for thinking and assuming it was far closer.
    Hey there! Thank's so much for the response!

When i was doing some reading, this is what i found!

2016 Head Unit (Infotainment/Radio) replacement - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
    post #2 which links to this website:

('14+) Aeo's If you build it...Forester Upgrades - Page 3 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum

Although this is on a forester, i can't help but think it should be fairly similar? Also i have been in email contact with AutoHarnessHouse and they insist that they have everything to make this work.. Wish i could find someone who has done this!

While a similar setup, there are two 7" headunits, one with Nav, and one without Nav (like that forester). The nav-less ones are more or less plug and play to the 6.5in standard headunits, same harnesses and such, I think there is a difference with the USB but otherwise, its more similar to the basic 6.5" units.

However, if AutoHarnesshouse has the gear to get your navigation unit to work, you just might be one of the early adopters, so be sure to make a thread with the part numbers and some pics! This question comes up every so often, but I haven't seen a thorough replacement of a Navigation Starlink headunit that keeps the functionality of everything without.

Good luck!

While a similar setup, there are two 7" headunits, one with Nav, and one without Nav (like that forester). The nav-less ones are more or less plug and play to the 6.5in standard headunits, same harnesses and such, I think there is a difference with the USB but otherwise, its more similar to the basic 6.5" units.

However, if AutoHarnesshouse has the gear to get your navigation unit to work, you just might be one of the early adopters, so be sure to make a thread with the part numbers and some pics! This question comes up every so often, but I haven't seen a thorough replacement of a Navigation Starlink headunit that keeps the functionality of everything without.

Good luck!
    Thanks for the luck --hopefully I won't need it.. I got the number of a starlink/multimedia rep at a great Subaru dealer near me. Going to get as much info as possible..

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast