Fuel additive

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Fuel additive

Fuel additive

Hey guys I'm looking for some input. I just drove 2400 miles this past weekend and I'm approaching 30k miles I'm thinking of using a Lucas fuel additive for my drive home in a couple weeks any thoughts ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I'm only trying to preserve the life of the car for years and years not looking to gain anything from it except longevity

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by cincron View Post
    I use lucas all the time. You get a few more MPG's with it also.
    Thanks

Super Moderator
    If you go over to the Bobistheoilguy forum, you'll find numerous oil junkies there... but what's a little known secret is that there are a lot of fuel additives junkies there as well!

A couple of things I got from hanging out with the other additive junkies:

1. Only a few fuel additives do any real good.

2. There are two types of additives: Upper Cylinder Lubes (UCLs) and cleaners.

3. Upper Cylinder Lubes adds a bit lubrication to the fuel so that the upper part of the cylinder receives a bit of lubrication and supposed to reduce friction and therefore reduce wear. As a nice benefit, the extra lubrication also improves the seal of the rings around the cylinder.

4. Cleaners are just that cleaners. They clean out deposits as well as the injectors.

5. Most UCL are just thin weight oil. While Lucas qualifies as a UCL (heck they call themselves that), it's expensive for what they do. One of the best deals out there for a UCL is Marvels Mystery Oil - ::Marvel Mystery Oil::. Buy it in the US gallon size for a good price. (works well on air tools, aircraft engines...)

6. The best cleaners out there have a high concentration of Techron - Techron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. While Chevron includes Techron in their gas, most believe that the concentration of Techron in Chevron's gas is too low to make any difference after one tank... you might need as much as 5,000 miles worth. You can buy Techron Concentrate under the Chevron brand. Or you can buy Gumout Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner. Be care with both products as they both brands sell lower concentration versions at a lower price but with a much lower techron for the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
    If you go over to the Bobistheoilguy forum, you'll find numerous oil junkies there... but what's a little known secret is that there are a lot of fuel additives junkies there as well!

3. Upper Cylinder Lubes adds a bit lubrication to the fuel so that the upper part of the cylinder receives a bit of lubrication and supposed to reduce friction and therefore reduce wear. As a nice benefit, the extra lubrication also improves the seal of the rings around the cylinder.

4. Cleaners are just that cleaners. They clean out deposits as well as the injectors.

5. Most UCL are just thin weight oil. While Lucas qualifies as a UCL (heck they call themselves that), it's expensive for what they do. One of the best deals out there for a UCL is Marvels Mystery Oil - ::Marvel Mystery Oil::. Buy it in the US gallon size for a good price. (works well on air tools, aircraft engines...)

6. The best cleaners out there have a high concentration of Techron - Techron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. While Chevron includes Techron in their gas, most believe that the concentration of Techron in Chevron's gas is too low to make any difference after one tank... you might need as much as 5,000 miles worth. You can buy Techron Concentrate under the Chevron brand. Or you can buy Gumout Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner. Be care with both products as they both brands sell lower concentration versions at a lower price but with a much lower techron for the buck.
    Good info. This helps a lot. Looks like ill be reading some labels

Quote Originally Posted by rlouie View Post

I've done some research on fuel and oil additives. By and large they are not needed as long as a specific problem that may need treatment does not arise. Most fuels contain detergents that do the job just fine. Top Tier fuels are tested to prove they have all the additives in all grades to do the job. Top Tier Gasoline
    Brands not on the list may just have decided not to pay for testing but may not have passed. We don't know. The biggest issue is probably water in the holding tanks. It's probably best not to fill up when a delivery tanker is present as the delivery process may stir up the water at the bottom of the tank. There are fuel treatments to help handle water which are usually alcohol based so fuel containing ethanol may help with water. That and keeping auto emissions down are about the only good things about ethanol.

One bad thing ethanol does is to reduce the shelf life of fuel. It can start to deteriorate in a month. The one fuel additive I use is Sta-Bil Marine formula in the motorcycle if I put it up for a few winter months. That helps keep fuel nicely usable for up to about a year. Oil additives are a waste of money and some can cause harm by adding solids that can clog small passages.

Quote Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
    I've done some research on fuel and oil additives. By and large they are not needed as long as a specific problem that may need treatment does not arise. Most fuels contain detergents that do the job just fine. Top Tier fuels are tested to prove they have all the additives in all grades to do the job. Top Tier Gasoline
    Brands not on the list may just have decided not to pay for testing but may not have passed. We don't know. The biggest issue is probably water in the holding tanks. It's probably best not to fill up when a delivery tanker is present as the delivery process may stir up the water at the bottom of the tank. There are fuel treatments to help handle water which are usually alcohol based so fuel containing ethanol may help with water. That and keeping auto emissions down are about the only good things about ethanol.

One bad thing ethanol does is to reduce the shelf life of fuel. It can start to deteriorate in a month. The one fuel additive I use is Sta-Bil Marine formula in the motorcycle if I put it up for a few winter months. That helps keep fuel nicely usable for up to about a year. Oil additives are a waste of money and some can cause harm by adding solids that can clog small passages.
    Could you change your white socks?

Quote Originally Posted by billybob View Post
    Could you change your white socks?
    Dyes in some socks tend to make my legs itch. Rather than taking a chance, I prefer very short white socks. I also have an aversion to most metals so I wear glasses with titanium or plastic temples and I quit wearing an earring because only gold or surgical stainless steel would work. You can ask, but I'm not going to talk about my hemorrhoids.

You needed to quote my entire post to ask that question?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast