Mileage Analysis

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Mileage Analysis

Mileage Analysis

I've been taking data for about a year and a half of what the vehicle estimates my mileage is and logging the miles driven and gas pumped. It is obvious from

This is the distribution (histogram) of the reported miles per gallon from the vehicle:

cVwUNbG.jpg

This is the distribution of the difference of the difference of the reported MPG and calculated MPG (from miles driven/gallons of gas):

mTCTvtA.jpg

Mean reported MPG is about 30.4 MPG; mean calculated difference is about 2.3 MPG.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

The Crosstrek is the first of 3 Subarus I owned that did NOT meet or beat EPA estimate on the new car sticker.

Ontario Canada Driving:___ 2016 Touring 5MT
    I find that mileage in forums, for a lot of cars, its a bit all over the place, there are so many differences in setups, driving conditions and foot that is almost impossible to give a controlled reference to anyone.
    Mileage become useful when comparing cars, then you need a method that is the same for everybody, within the limits of possibility. Once an owner starts driving it all bets are off and each one has their own mileage.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I've noticed that my car's computer calculated MPG is also very consistently offset (higher) than the "true mpg". On my slightly older Outback there was a way you could scale down the computer mpg so that it more or less matched the actual. Is this also possible on the Crosstrek?

Quote Originally Posted by EXT64 View Post
    I've noticed that my car's computer calculated MPG is also very consistently offset (higher) than the "true mpg". On my slightly older Outback there was a way you could scale down the computer mpg so that it more or less matched the actual. Is this also possible on the Crosstrek?
    I've heard that the dealer can reprogram this. Not sure how much they would charge, but I may ask about it next time I'm there. My Crosstrek's computer consistently over estimates by 2 - 3 MPG. It's annoying, but I've gotten used to it.

My 2016 OB and 2017 Crosstrek both consistently show 2 to 3 mpg higher than what they are actually is getting. The Crosstrek seems to be worse than the OB, and it always wants to read right at 30 (so far anyway, only 1700 mi). I use Fuelly to track for both the cars.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I haven't reset the B trip counter/MPG adv in 10K miles and it hasn't moved from 28.8 lately. That is close to my hand calculations for my normal commute (28.5) My old 5 MT Forester did 25-27, on the same commute. I'm sure the FB25 engine would do better here for the way I commute.

Quote Originally Posted by VSurfn View Post
    I haven't reset the B trip counter/MPG adv in 10K miles and it hasn't moved from 28.8 lately. That is close to my hand calculations for my normal commute (28.5) My old 5 MT Forester did 25-27, on the same commute. I'm sure the FB25 engine would do better here for the way I commute.
    You know, I may just stop resetting it and see if averages out over time. Good call.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Squash View Post
    I've heard that the dealer can reprogram this. Not sure how much they would charge, but I may ask about it next time I'm there. My Crosstrek's computer consistently over estimates by 2 - 3 MPG. It's annoying, but I've gotten used to it.
    They hook it up to the SSM, and adjust it by %. I have started looking for a way to do it myself, but apparently the SSM software or one of the knock-offs is needed, and therefore a hardware box.

Quote Originally Posted by VSurfn View Post
    The Crosstrek is the first of 3 Subarus I owned that did NOT meet or beat EPA estimate on the new car sticker.
    This may be due to the manufacturers tuning to the test. If they tuned to the drive, they may end showing a low number on the sticker that results in less sales than competing manufacturers tuning to the test and getting lower mileage.

This XV is the highest miles per gallon car I've owned, and it's AWD. I'm really happy to go so far on regular gas. Most of what I have owned was powerful, or able to haul a lot of stuff. The XV is powerful enough for my needs, and hauls what we need now. I've owned several vehicles that never got to 20 mpg evAr.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast