Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

Brief power loss on 5 speed Crosstrek

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  peytonracer4 
#1 ·
Climbed the rutted roads of Mount Mansfield today in Vermont with the Crosstrek. Stopped on a really steep incline for about 5 min to take pics. Started car up again and started going uphill. Car experienced sudden power loss as if the clutch was not working. Coolant Temp was 213 degrees and the air was thin. Then I backed up towards more level surface and started again. Clutch grabbed fine and kept going. I made it to top no problem. Most of the stretch was 1st gear. Speed was about 15-20 mph. All geavel and some rocks. Lots of ruts and potholes. Anybody know what happened? Was it a fluke?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hmmm - never happened to me but I don't have any steep hills to climb. Could you have lost traction?

#6 ·
From the context of your description, chances are, its the Hill Holder function.

If this is indeed the case, consider getting to know your hill holder system better by practicing using it. The hill holder system will hold and continue to apply the brake pressure that is initially used to hold your vehicle at a standstill on a steep grade if you've activated it by pressing both the brake and clutch pedals.
If you mash your brakes, the hill holder system will maintain this pressure and it will feel like a loss of power. Alternatively, if you only utilize the minimun necessary pedal pressure to hold your vehicle on a steep grade, it may feel like a slight loss of power, or if properly utilized, feel like a normal, well executed uphill launch.

Another option would to disable the hill holder function altogether.

Reactions: Montanan
#7 ·
It could be the hill holder. I have used it quite a bit now and I am used or it. I like the feature. It's supposed to disengage when you start releasing the clutch and the clutch catches. It's world almost flawlessly. But I was wondering if it could be the thin air as well as the fact that my scan gauge was showing 217 coolant temp. That's really hot for that car. The most I have seen it before was 208. Not sure if car computer was worried about engine damage and just decreased power or what not.

#8 ·
If it happened while you were already under way - did you have the AC on at all, or perhaps the front window defroster, which would also kick in the AC compressor?

There's a noticeable drop in power whenever the AC compressor kicks on and cycles in mine, with a manual, even at highway speeds. I could see that being really noticeable if you were in a low gear and going up a steep grade...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.