When can we get a turbo XV?

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: When can we get a turbo XV?

When can we get a turbo XV?

Subaru now has a a 1.6 liter turbo (1.6 DIT) and they've already put it in 2015 Outback and Levrog on asian markets. And the spy photos of new Impreza looks like it'll have a turbo. Would we see the turbo in XV soon?
    2017-subaru-impreza-spy-photos-news-car-and-driver-photo-630383-s-original.jpg

Correction: there are two turbo engines 1.6 DIT and 2.0 DIT (this one is different from the 2.0XT on Forester). And Subaru has put 2.0 DIT in 2015 Outback and Levrog high trimls and 1.6 DIT on Levrog low trim on asian markets.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

In some markets there is a turbo diesel. I would rather have that. Good low end torque and awesome fuel economy.
    SUBARU BOXER DIESEL | A True Engineering Revolution

https://m.facebook.com/Americawantst...rekTurboDiesel

Quote Originally Posted by ystao View Post
    Subaru now has a a 1.6 liter turbo (1.6 DIT) and they've already put it in 2015 Outback and Levrog on asian markets. And the spy photos of new Impreza looks like it'll have a turbo. Would we see the turbo in XV soon?
    Attachment 119130
    That one is a diesel, won't be coming to the US.
    Last edited by Menel; 05-27-2015 at 04:34 PM.
    2017 Forester 2.5i CBS
    2015 Crosstrek 2.0i 5MT TOP [RIP]

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mauldin View Post
    In some markets there is a turbo diesel. I would rather have that. Good low end torque and awesome fuel economy.
    SUBARU BOXER DIESEL | A True Engineering Revolution
    Toyota recently: Feb 2015
    Toyota Tacoma Diesel Not Worth it Says Chief Engineer » AutoGuide.com News
    https://m.facebook.com/Americawantst...rekTurboDiesel
    Not happening.

Speaking during a live chat, Tacoma and Tundra chief engineer Mike Sweers was unequivocal. “We will not be offering a diesel engine,” he said. “We’ve looked at diesels, and diesel is a difficult topic right now because of the new Tier 3 emission regulations.”

Those Tier 3 regulations, set in place by the Environmental Protection Agency, are set to take effect in 2017, further reducing tailpipe emissions and, as a result, making diesel-powered light vehicles harder to pass, not to mention more expensive to build.

Sweers is aware of the obvious advantages of a diesel engine. “Diesel, from a fuel economy standpoint, is about a 30 percent improvement right out of the box,” he said.

However, that’s not enough to offset the negative aspects of diesel engines.

“The downside to diesel is the emissions has to be certified at the same level as a gas engine,” said Sweers. “So the way to do that is you have to put on an after-treatment system.” That system, he claims, would add as much as $3,000 to the cost of a vehicle.

“So if we consider that cost, versus the fuel economy improvement, and the fact that diesel is $1 more per gallon more than gasoline, is there a return on the investment,” asks Sweers rhetorically.

Even if the answer is yes, Sweers wouldn’t bet on diesel tech for the future, pointing to further emissions regulations taking effect in 2019 that could then shelve certain engines. “Can you make that diesel survive? Is it a two-year engine? Is it a four-year engine? That’s the question,” said Sweers. “It’s very difficult to show a return on that investment.”
    Mazda is trying, but flailing about actually getting a product to market.
    Fiat/Jeep is trying, but not heard much about their v6 success.
    Chevy Cruze Diesel (Chevy Cruze Diesel Sales: Mediocre At Best, So Far). They are bringing it to the Colorado platform in another year or two, last I checked, built with the Z71 package they want $38k MSRP... for a small truck made by bowtie! LOLS.

Quote Originally Posted by Menel View Post
    That one is a diesel, won't be coming to the US.
    No. "DIT" means "Direct Injection Turbo" here, it is a FB16 turbo gasoline engine. The diesel engine used on European models is an EE20 diesel engine which does not have turbo.

I call b.s on cost being $3,000 more being a barrier to sells. The hybrid is $3,000 more and they are selling.

I don't think I'd buy a 1.6 turbo. It would have to be the 2.0 turbo for me to buy.

If there gonna do the 5 door WRX hatch, you can forget about an XV turbo. You can buy the 5 Door WRX and lift it or wait for the Forester redesign and hope it's easy on the eyes (better looking). The XV will be geared more toward tree huggers saving fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by mauldin View Post
    I call b.s on cost being $3,000 more being a barrier to sells. The hybrid is $3,000 more and they are selling.
    I feel the subaru hybrid is functioning more like a turbo, you use the electric motor for additional power and torque more often than saving gas. Subaru NA would have to make a marketing choice between them if a turbo XV is to come.

I think it's a fairly safe bet that by the end of the decade, all of Subaru's current US-market engines will be replaced with updated versions. I won't be at all surprised if we see more turbos here -- including one in the XV -- but they'll be different from the ones that are currently in the WRX or Forester. We'll just have to wait a couple years for the details.

Anyone waiting for a US-market Subaru diesel is going to have to wait a very long time, though ... like forever.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast