When can we get a turbo XV? - Page 5

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: When can we get a turbo XV?

@Andrew: Do you know what the maximum boost is in your car, or, what pressure the waste gate is set for? If you can find that out, you can estimate the maximum possible power with this engine. Or you can calculate back from 0-60 mph times, or measure using something like the Torque App for Android and a OBD2 dongle. Any one of those methods will get you close.

Based on other cars I have driven, 40% more power will seem like a big difference on a normal road or in traffic. I personally would be thrilled to have that in this car.

The upper limit of power, before any losses, is the displacement of the engine and the amount of air and fuel that you can burn at a given rpm. After that, engine builders will size the intake and exhaust for the amount of air and exhaust gas. The goal in designing the intake and the exhaust is to keep the losses down to a minimum. The more boost you have, the more important the exhaust and intake become.

I suspect that you meant you use 98 RON in your car, which translates to about 93 Octane in the US.

Euro RON US Octane
    90 85.9
    92 87.8
    95 90.7
    96 91.6
    98 93.5
    100 95.5
    105 100.2
    110 105

From the video you posted, from the thread on NASOIC, and from my own experience, it looks like tuning for 93 octane or 98 RON gets you about 15% more power, at best, meaning at wide open throttle and high rpm.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I will ask them more information next February, when I take the car for its next service. Meanwhile I just want to drive it, so I can ask them about retuning anything I don't like. I just need some scenarios to explain any issues, but is really too early to tell. Yesterdays drive was a really hot spring day (31 Degrees Celsius), and temperatures on the road even higher. I would hope to have some rural test runs on cooler days. Thanks for all the explanations, I appreciate your interest.

Here are the 11 models their owners can’t wait to say goodbye to and the percentage of new cars resold as used within the first year after the initial sale: JD Powers

BMW 3 Series: 8.0%
    BMW 5 Series: 7.1%
    Mercedes S-class: 6.1%
    Nissan Versa Note: 4.0%
    Dodge Dart: 3.9%
    BMW X3: 3.9%
    BMW 4 Series: 3.9%
    Mercedes E-class: 3.9%
    Chrysler 200: 3.8%
    Subaru WRX: 3.3%
    Nissan Versa: 3.2%

Could Subaru have a problem with turbos?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by VSurfn View Post
    Here are the 11 models their owners can’t wait to say goodbye to and the percentage of new cars resold as used within the first year after the initial sale: JD Powers

BMW 3 Series: 8.0%
    BMW 5 Series: 7.1%
    Mercedes S-class: 6.1%
    Nissan Versa Note: 4.0%
    Dodge Dart: 3.9%
    BMW X3: 3.9%
    BMW 4 Series: 3.9%
    Mercedes E-class: 3.9%
    Chrysler 200: 3.8%
    Subaru WRX: 3.3%
    Nissan Versa: 3.2%

Could Subaru have a problem with turbos?
    Turbos are usually trouble in general... not for the first few years but soon afterwards. I would rather see more displacement than a turbo any day.

Quote Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
    Turbos are usually trouble in general... not for the first few years but soon afterwards. I would rather see more displacement than a turbo any day.
    As many have stated, give us the BRZ 2.0 at 200 hp normally aspirated as option, and let it stand. Personally, our 2015 has plenty of pep and is a monster off the line to 40mph.

Would love to see their proven 2.5l dropped into the Crosstrek (someday) but not holding my breath. There's nothing "monsterish" about the 2015 off the line, I own one. It's a dog. It's fine, but after 50 mph, I have to floor it to pass anything. It's a terrible engine for acceleration at least. But having owned 3 turbos (1st gen WRX wagon, 06 Legacy GT sedan, 14 GTI), I miss the power, but not the probs and having to buy premium gas.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5