Fuel pump

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By billybob
  • 1 Post By troutbum

Thread: Fuel pump

Fuel pump

2 days ago my car just simply stopped in the midst of peak hour traffic. No warning lights , nothing. When I tried to start the car all the dash lights lit up like a Christmas tree. Naturally it caused a minor traffic problem and I was just glad that no-one hit me and with help I was able to move the car to a bus stop. When road assistance came and suggested a fuel pump problem I was quite surprised. I was one of the very early purchasers of an XV. I have a Pearl White MY12 2.0S Automatic Hatch and have only travelled 38169 Km so the fuel pump was the last thing I expected to have problems. To give them great credit Subaru Australia replaced the pump at no charge..even though I was just under 2 weeks out of
    warranty and I collected the car from my local dealer this afternoon. Diagnosis..faulty fuel pump!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Wow! That does seem unusual. Lucky it was in warranty and Subaru paid😉

When you make thousands of car parts and there's about more than 10,000 moving parts, more computing power than the Apollo. I'm amazed how there's very few problems with todays cars, with that said. The only bad thing you've could have done was to maybe pouring a lot of aftermarket cleaner into the gas tank or ran the tank completely empty until filling up. Running on empty: Low gas in the tank can be costly

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by billybob View Post
    When you make thousands of car parts and there's about more than 10,000 moving parts, more computing power than the Apollo. I'm amazed how there's very few problems with todays cars, with that said. The only bad thing you've could have done was to maybe pouring a lot of aftermarket cleaner into the gas tank or ran the tank completely empty until filling up. Running on empty: Low gas in the tank can be costly
    You are so right billybob

Subaru is not the only MFG to remove the external fuel filter from its vehicle and rely on the in tank Sock to stop contaminants from entering the pump, as a former Service writer/Service manager the Single biggest cause of Fuel pump failures we would see is folks who typically ran on the Lower side of 1/2 tank or less !!

It's the quickest way I know of burning out your fuel pump, SO DON"T DO IT !!!!!

Reason being is fuel is relatively stable in it's temperature range to keep your electric fuel pump COOL, but when you allow the tank run 1/2 or less on a regular basis,the pump now works harder,gets Hotter,and Cavitates, in other words just like an outboard motor when you pull the leg out of the water,revvs hard and doesn't push any fluid, it WILL OVERHEAT !

Once again Subaru has shown that they are standing behind a quality product by providing you with Goodwill in the replacement of the fuel pump, with that low Km's it should not have failed( but like all things man made eventually it will break down)

Subaru

Enjoy your ride

Troutbum
    “Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand--and melting like a snowflake...”

― Francis Bacon

Regarding my failed fuel pump, I used top quality fuel- not the cheaper variety- and always refilled when half full. Subaru used to give me a fuel additive with each service that I would add to the fuel tank as advised by them.

Quote Originally Posted by doenitz View Post
    Regarding my failed fuel pump, I used top quality fuel- not the cheaper variety- and always refilled when half full. Subaru used to give me a fuel additive with each service that I would add to the fuel tank as advised by them.
    Then you've must been one of the lucky ones, like hitting the lottery of just a defective part.

Quote Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
    Fuel additives are a waste of money.
    +1 on this. they make money for the mfg, and save money for no one.
    on the partial tank issue, definitely agree that 1/4 tank is the time for fill up, but "never let it get below a 1/2 tank" is not in my strategy.
    if someone can point out Subaru manual where it states this is necessary, or fuel additives, I'd appreciate it.

+ Reply to Thread