Complete vehicle shutdown while driving

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Complete vehicle shutdown while driving

Complete vehicle shutdown while driving

This has occurred 3x. While driving car, vehicle suddenly shudders, slows uncontrollably to a stop. Dashboard lights go nuts to include CEL coming on. After vehicle shutdown, I have been able to restart it after a few attempts. The CEL mysteriously clears (??????) and car acts like nothing happened once I get it going again.

The symptoms remind me of running out of gas, but with the dashboard indicators going nuts.

Common denominators: The first time it occurred, I had taken car thru a car wash where an added option was the "under vehicle spray" (machine sprays water to clean undercarriage as car is vectored thru). It happened within 30 minutes after leaving car wash. The other two times seem to correspond with driving thru the small creek (4" - 5" deep) near where I live. The level of the water doesn't even touch the brake calipers so not sure if this is a causal factor. But these are the only things I can tie to this phenomenon. Took it to a trusted Subaru mechanic who recommended I take to dealer to get CPU re-flashed, or reset to original specs because his equipment did not have the capability to reflash, etc.

What I do know is this: dangerous. Were it to happen while in the fast lane on the freeway it would get interesting. I now drive my car the same way I fly airplanes...constantly looking for a safe place to land should engine go out.

No mods to drivetrain except AEM filter, Borla exhaust. 62K on the ODO. Again, creek is not deep enough to get within 2 feet of any part of the car that should matter during crossing.

Has this happened to any others out there? I've read similar posts on here from somewhere.

...and ofcourse my CV joints just started talking this week too...when it rains it pours!!

Still love the car though -

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    From the information provide, it does seem like water may be the issue. The spray of the water may have gotten into an improperly sealed electrical connecting causing a short shortly after going over the water. It might even be one of the sensors at the wheels that is causing the issue.

Can you reproduce the issue by going over the creek? - ie does it happen every time or just randomly?

This may not be your situation. A fellow on another forum(Toyota FJCruiser)had the same thing happen to his FJ. His problem was the + battery cable was loose and if the FJ flexed just right the engine would just shut down. It's a long shot.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

there's a huge thread about this problem on this forum.....use the search feature and it will come up....

Thanks everyone for the input - apologies for late replies my part. Hasn't replicated since last occasion with same dashboard symptoms followed by shutdown, however yesterday on way home in the fast lane the car ceased todeliver power to the wheels. All of a sudden. Luckily there was a large dirt median to pull into as I narrowly avoided being rear-ended by the tailgating text messager behind me. As I slowed to a stop, power returned.
    -Felt like a major CVT slippage. Not CEL. No blinking dashboard lights.

Note: I was returning home from picking vehicle up from shop after having the right front axle assembly to include CV joints, etc replaced (different story). Could this have been the CV "wearing in" after replacement or does this smack of CVT tomfoolery?

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by isabella88 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the input - apologies for late replies my part. Hasn't replicated since last occasion with same dashboard symptoms followed by shutdown, however yesterday on way home in the fast lane the car ceased todeliver power to the wheels. All of a sudden. Luckily there was a large dirt median to pull into as I narrowly avoided being rear-ended by the tailgating text messager behind me. As I slowed to a stop, power returned.
    -Felt like a major CVT slippage. Not CEL. No blinking dashboard lights.

Note: I was returning home from picking vehicle up from shop after having the right front axle assembly to include CV joints, etc replaced (different story). Could this have been the CV "wearing in" after replacement or does this smack of CVT tomfoolery?
    Depends.... Shops aren't perfect. I would take it back to them and have them inspect it. CVs shouldn't wear in.

On the other hand, when you say "ceased to deliver power to the wheels" do you mean that you hit the accelerator and nothing happens? Or you had a sudden slow down like the accelerator was let up and when you pressed it down further, nothing happened?

While depressing gas pedal there was a subdued "thumb" followed by nothing happening while continuing to attempt to apply power. I was unable to maintain speed and had to bail off of hwy

Super Moderator
    Our cars are all throttle-by-wire so the gas pedal is connected to a variable resistor rather than a direct linkage to the throttle body. As such, from what you describe, it's possible that the throttle-by-wire system has an issue (particular the variable resistor failed) causing the system to seem like that you suddenly released the gas pedal when you are going at speed. That should explain the unreactive gas pedal. If the pedal was reacting and the it was a drivetrain issue (ie. the CVT or the CV), then you should have seen the RPM and the engine speed stay steady and react to the gas pedal but that power wasn't transfered to the road. Since you saw and felt none of that, I believe the engine never received your request via the gas pedal.

Does that mean the variable resistor is faulty? Maybe. It could also mean that the wiring harness to the variable resistor is loose.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast