ignition issue on 17 trek

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Giles
  • 1 Post By Giles
  • 1 Post By BicycleMad
  • 1 Post By Giles

Thread: ignition issue on 17 trek

ignition issue on 17 trek

A strange behavior has surfaced in my '17 with less than 1K miles. Whereas before the car would start every time with the first turn of the key, lately I have had to go through 2 or even 3 attempts before the car starts, with me pumping the gas pedal (before I never had to do this). I suspect a battery issue, but is there a way to check this or something else to see what is going on? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

As its brand new, best to take it to the dealer for a warranty checkout. I've not come across this yet on the forums. Could be a part acting up, or something innocuous, but best to take advantage of that warranty.

Every so often I will turn the key where the dash lights come on and pause 20 seconds before turning the starter. This allows the ECU to sample the air temperature. Helpful when you have rapid changes in temperature like we are experiencing now in the north east. This also helps when setting the OBDII monitors in a drive cycle (for emissions inspections). I believe there is also TSB about a ecu flash for this issue, but I don't think it covers the 2017 (yet).

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Definitely go back to the dealer. Even if it's a battery issue, it shouldn't be an issue so early in miles.

As its brand new, best to take it to the dealer for a warranty checkout. I've not come across this yet on the forums. Could be a part acting up, or something innocuous, but best to take advantage of that warranty.
    Actually I found a lengthy thread with people who have experienced the same issue in this forum. Seems it was not uncommon in earlier model treks and it was never properly solved, although some people upgraded their batteries and the problem went away. Thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by VSurfn View Post
    Every so often I will turn the key where the dash lights come on and pause 20 seconds before turning the starter. This allows the ECU to sample the air temperature. Helpful when you have rapid changes in temperature like we are experiencing now in the north east. This also helps when setting the OBDII monitors in a drive cycle (for emissions inspections). I believe there is also TSB about a ecu flash for this issue, but I don't think it covers the 2017 (yet).
    Yes, I found this exact suggestion in an earlier thread, and I am in the NE so I will try this from now on and report back. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by vahallaoven View Post
    Definitely go back to the dealer. Even if it's a battery issue, it shouldn't be an issue so early in miles.
    Unless it gets worse, I prefer to avoid getting it to the dealer. I'm always worried they will damage something else in the process of diagnosing a minor issue.

You should never have to pump the gas pedal on an EFI engine. If problem persists see dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by BicycleMad View Post
    You should never have to pump the gas pedal on an EFI engine. If problem persists see dealer.
    I didn't know this! Thank you for the tip.

Just reporting that since I began to let the gauges and icons light up and turn off before I fully turn the key to start the engine I have not had any issues. I now simply use the pause to buckle my seat belt and then continue to turn on the engine. Will report back if the issue resurfaces. Thanks everyone!

+ Reply to Thread