Specific modifications for Borla exhaust with Eco-Hitch

  1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

    Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By AstroPoverty
  • 1 Post By bbcobra
  • 2 Post By scroggins5000
  • 1 Post By bbcobra
  • 3 Post By Mi.cheng89

Thread: Specific modifications for Borla exhaust with Eco-Hitch

  1. #1

    Specific modifications for Borla exhaust with Eco-Hitch

    Hi folks,

    I think I am wanting to install a Borla Axle-back Exhaust System, but I have to contend with the existing Torklift Ecohitch install. I know that this is not plug and play at this point, but it seems like some people have still managed get both installed by modifying one or the other.

    Just wanted to check if anyone had a definitive answer (strong opinion) on how to best do this. Some threads indicate modification of the Ecohitch is in order (not a huge fan of this... my hitch is not just for bike racks) and others indicate success with relocation / extension of the hangers. The latter of these two options sounds better to me, but I will admit that I do not really understand what this means (or at least I can't visualize it).

    Can anyone help to clarify what relocation / extension of the exhaust hangers means?
    • Does it require welding?
    • Is it an owner DIY thing or something a shop should do? I'm pretty handy around cars, but haven't ever done anything like this.

    Or... as a third option, just avoid the whole thing because it's hacky and not worth the mess?

    Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by AstroPoverty; 08-12-2016 at 03:01 AM.
    Astro Poverty
    2016 Subaru Crosstrek Limited with EyeSight (Dark Gray, CVT)
    Buildout - The Batfart Build Thread

    Astrophotographer - Night sky imaging

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Elkin NC
    Posts
    129
    I already have the borla on mine (and love it). I also plan to get the ecohitch.
    this guy has a borla for sale and there are a few posts with questions I and another guy posted about the modifications.
    FS: Borla 11843 Rear section exhaust NorCal- Bay area

    you can either cut a notch in the hitch. (will weaken the load capacity) but may not be a problem since it is a 3500 pound capacity hitch and the crosstrek is only rated for 1500 pounds anyway. or better option is to modify the tail pipe to clear the hitch.
    this guy just moved the hanger to the top of the pipe to drop it below the hitch. the tip ends up lower though.
    An option I have considered is also doing that but then cutting the pipe and rotating the tip back up to parallel or close to it so it dosent point or hang dwn so low.
    I think you could actually add longer hangers or straps picked up at the auto parts store without having to cut and re-weld the hanger to the tail pipe and then use a wide band type clamp to hold the pipe together after cutting the pipe. This would allow you to rotate the tip around with out having to take a trip to the muffler shop. Just need a sawzall and a clamp to do it. You can buy stainless clamps pretty cheap to do this.

    here is the clamp.
    Dynomax Exhaust - Band Clamp | 4WheelParts.com

  4. #3
    Senior Member scroggins5000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    FTW, TX
    Posts
    187
    Quote Originally Posted by bbcobra View Post
    I already have the borla on mine (and love it). I also plan to get the ecohitch.
    this guy has a borla for sale and there are a few posts with questions I and another guy posted about the modifications.
    FS: Borla 11843 Rear section exhaust NorCal- Bay area

    you can either cut a notch in the hitch. (will weaken the load capacity) but may not be a problem since it is a 3500 pound capacity hitch and the crosstrek is only rated for 1500 pounds anyway. or better option is to modify the tail pipe to clear the hitch.
    this guy just moved the hanger to the top of the pipe to drop it below the hitch. the tip ends up lower though.
    An option I have considered is also doing that but then cutting the pipe and rotating the tip back up to parallel or close to it so it dosent point or hang dwn so low.
    I think you could actually add longer hangers or straps picked up at the auto parts store without having to cut and re-weld the hanger to the tail pipe and then use a wide band type clamp to hold the pipe together after cutting the pipe. This would allow you to rotate the tip around with out having to take a trip to the muffler shop. Just need a sawzall and a clamp to do it. You can buy stainless clamps pretty cheap to do this.

    here is the clamp.
    Dynomax Exhaust - Band Clamp | 4WheelParts.com

    When you do this it would be nice if you could post a thread detailing the process. I'm sure quite a few people here would benefit from it. I've seen lots of posts with questions about what exhausts and trailer hitch's play well together, and so far none really do. I think if an exhaust manufacturer made a simple bolt on exhaust (nice tone, without being loud and droning) that worked with the ecohitch, they'd have a winner on their hands.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

  6. #4

  7. #5
    Here's my take on what I did to fit the borla exhaust with the eco hitch. I had emailed torklift regarding modiying the hitch and they strong advised against it. I will include that email after the pictures.
    I had the double hanger cut and relocated to the top of the exhaust.




    Hello Michael
    Thank you for contacting us regarding your Crosstrek and your purchase. We would not suggest modifying the hitch, it is tested and rated in its original form and doing any alterations to it would not only void the warranty of the hitch but it will also drop the capacity of the hitch. We would suggest taking measures to alter the exhaust system at this point to gain the clearance that you need since the exhaust system is not considered a structural component.
    And a reply from borla after consulting with them regarding modifying the exhaust.
    As long as you keep this email thread in your files in case of a future warranty, you should be fine. I would just cut the pipe, turn it away from the ground a little bit, and extend the hanger. That should solve the fitment issues, I think. Reply if this does not work well for you. Thank you.

  8. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Mi.cheng89 View Post
    Here's my take on what I did to fit the borla exhaust with the eco hitch. I had emailed torklift regarding modiying the hitch and they strong advised against it. I will include that email after the pictures.
    I had the double hanger cut and relocated to the top of the exhaust.
    Awesome! Thanks for the detailed pics. I noticed that Borla indicated they would also, in addition to extending the hangers, "cut the pipe, turn it away from the ground a little bit". Do you know what this means? Did you do this?

    Thanks!

  9. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by AstroPoverty View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for the detailed pics. I noticed that Borla indicated they would also, in addition to extending the hangers, "cut the pipe, turn it away from the ground a little bit". Do you know what this means? Did you do this?

    Thanks!
    I think they just wanted the tip to sit a little higher by cutting it and turning it up. Since the hangers were relocated, the exhaust tip hangs a little lower than it should but I have no problem with that. Here are a few pictures for reference.



  10. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    East SF Bay Area
    Posts
    1
    So I just finished the install today on my 2014 Subaru Impreza. Since my car is not going to tow anything except a two bike rack, I decided to cut the ecohitch to fit the manufactured borla exhaust. Yes I know it is not as safe but looks are everything man! Not 100% true but I mean I did this all for ground clearance so here are the pics
    Attached Images

  11. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by hebrewGOINdumb View Post
    So I just finished the install today on my 2014 Subaru Impreza. Since my car is not going to tow anything except a two bike rack, I decided to cut the ecohitch to fit the manufactured borla exhaust. Yes I know it is not as safe but looks are everything man! Not 100% true but I mean I did this all for ground clearance so here are the pics
    Have you had any issues with your hitch? I recently installed mine and notched out the bracket. I didn't remove as much
    material as yours, more like Mi.Cheng89 's drawing on his hitch. Now I am getting nervous that it weakened the hitch too much. But keep telling myself it is a 3000# x 350# hitch on a car that is limited to 1500# x 200# (class I). I can't imagine that removing that material weakened the hitch by any more than 1/2 its capacity. Anyway, Im thinking of repositioning the hangers and welding a new piece of 1/4 plate over the notch so I don't have to think about it again.

  12. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    9
    I wanted to run both the borla and ecohitch. I notched mine and welded a piece of steel plate above the notch to reinforce it. I did this on the inside of the hitch and painted it after the install. I have not had any issues with the hitch, however it is only used light duty for a bike rack and occasional towing. ecohitchmod1.jpgecohitchmod2.jpg

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Borla Exhaust with Torklift Hitch?
    By Grumpaw in forum Engine and Drivetrain
    Replies: 6
    Latest Post: 09-22-2016, 11:00 PM
  2. borla exhaust
    By lvethesnow in forum Engine and Drivetrain
    Replies: 76
    Latest Post: 06-29-2016, 07:11 AM
  3. Anyone use the stowaway2 hitch box with torklift eco hitch?
    By addicted2powerwheels in forum Utility and Protection
    Replies: 9
    Latest Post: 04-27-2016, 12:23 AM
  4. Borla exhaust!!!! Like new!!!!
    By crosstrek46 in forum Subaru XV Classified Forum
    Replies: 6
    Latest Post: 01-11-2016, 04:02 PM
  5. Anyone use the stowaway2 hitch box with torklift eco hitch?
    By addicted2powerwheels in forum Subaru XV General Discussion Forum
    Replies: 4
    Latest Post: 02-17-2015, 08:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2