Cheapest bars I've found

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Cheapest bars I've found

Cheapest bars I've found

I've ran the aero bars for a few months no issues. Bought a canoe this weekend and found the gunwales are too wide for the aero bars. I stumbled upon a Reese universal kit at Wal-Mart (I know...) with 48" round bars and clamps for $89. I had to trim a little bit of rubber in the clamps to fit perfectly on the raised rails and they are claim to only be rated to 110 lbs. Those are the only two issues. I don't have plans to carry anything heavier than that so I'm fine with it. I've since added my Inno fairing back to reduce howl. I'm also thinking if I ever wanted to go wider I can swap a Yakima bar and use the same jaws. The rating is for the bars not the jaws I believe.. not certain on that.

For reference that is a Coleman Ram-X 16' with 38" beam. Weight 70 lbs.

Just an option for someone looking at the cheapest way to get into a functional rack system on the XV.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I clicked on this thread because I thought it was going to be about great dive bars.

Same here. It's great info, but I admit to being slightly disappointed.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Yep, he sold me the Subaru stock cross bars then posted this the day he got my payment. That's OK I'd rather have OEM parts anyway.

Actually not true. But yeah I ran the Aero's for a while and found they would not work with everything I needed to carry and these were the most cost-effective option. I do hope the Aero's treat you as well as they treated me.

Any details on trimming?

I just bought these bars because of your post. I'm sure I can figure it out, but any insight would be helpful.

I'm impatient, so everything looks like crap so far.

I just picked up the same bars - the pictures that you posted don't show much trimming. I am wondering if you trimmed the rubber where it rests on top of the front to back rails to allow the hooked part of the rubber to grab the side rail. I was thinking that that grab point was not as important as the clamp that you draw in with the allen wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by jdion View Post
    I just picked up the same bars - the pictures that you posted don't show much trimming. I am wondering if you trimmed the rubber where it rests on top of the front to back rails to allow the hooked part of the rubber to grab the side rail. I was thinking that that grab point was not as important as the clamp that you draw in with the allen wrench.
    That's what I had to do. The lower grab point felt like it would come loose. My trimming looks like crap, but it everything feels solid except for those Thule clamps on the round bars.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast