Anti Rust Coating

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Talesonelves

Thread: Anti Rust Coating

Anti Rust Coating

One bad thing associated with Subaru is poor rust protection. I think it has to do with all the "green" manufacturing. I believe it's a 7 year rust warranty compared to other manufacturers 10 years +? I sprayed an anti rust spray paint coating around any metal I saw underneath the car. I work on exteriors of cars and even notice rust on the brackets of seats inside the car, from people getting in and out! not cool. So is anyone else doing that, and what kind of spray was used? One better than another?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I had my dealer apply an undercoating to the entire undercarriage. It was an option there since I'm in an area where road salt is used I assume this is a common extra that's available.

I grew up living on a gravel roads and this was a must for any of my parent's cars. It seems to do the trick pretty well. I had it applied to my '96 Taurus which I traded for my XV last year. The only rusting location was in the door well of backseat/driver's side. I have heard that when you wax a car that if you wax the metal part of the doorwell it'll help protect it from rusting. I'll be trying it anyway. Won't know for years if it'll work, but can't hurt anything.

We get 12 year rust warranty here in Sweden from subaru, there is always fine print in these warranties but seems pretty good. Lots of snow, rain and salt on the roads here too. I belive mudflaps are the best protection you can have but many do the rust proofing of the undercarriage.

Are Subaru's known to rust? I've seen many old subarus around here without a spec of rust. I've never rust proofed my cars and have only noticed very minor rust in the lower doors after 10+ years of use. What I try to do is just rinse off my car after a heavy dose of road salt is applied on the roads.

I own a 1988 Subaru Justy and a 1970 Subaru 360 van. Mine are survivors. California cars their whole life. Most from Washington state are rust buckets. Subaru does have a bad rap when it comes to rust, but it's from these early cars using thin sheet metal and thin coats of paint with no undercoat. My Justy, oddly, does have the undercoating option.

When I lived in Vermont we always went to the car wash that had the under carriage sprayers to get rid of salt. I was under the impression that most car manufacturers did an electrolytic(?)coating of the metal parts and My Subaru also has a lot of a rubbery/tar-like coating underneath. Besides some sound deadening, I thought this was for rust protection? In the early '70's, one could almost watch the Japanese cars dissolve right in front of your eyes, lol. By the way, don't know if this was a cheap regional fix or not, but many of my friends went to local gas stations and had strategic holes drilled underneath the car, including the doors, and sprayed used oil up and then blocked the holes. Cars smelled funny for a while but many old Volvo's(Vermont's state car)seemed somewhat impervious to rust. Down here, rust does not appear to be an issue.

paul