Windowing Tinting (Out-of-state CA Resident): Do it in TX or wait till I get to CA?

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread

QuestionWindowing Tinting (Out-of-state CA Resident): Do it in TX or wait till I get to CA?

Hi, I'm about to get another Crosstrek -premium with eyesight (had a 2013 Crosstrek Limited but had to give it away ); and I'm a out-of-state California resident living in Texas and I'm thinking of getting a tint here that conforms to the tint laws in California so that when I do go back to CA in the near future; I don't have to go to a tint shop there and be good?

But the question is, I don't know if its convenient and cheap to do it just here or just wait till I get back to CA, go to a tint shop there and I don't have to deal with the Cops saying its not within regs and have to pay money to change it? I'm kind of hesitate to do here in Texas.

Thanks.

P.S. its like $206 (with groupon) for all seven window tint at a highly rated shop on yelp; dont know if thats cheap or not.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I had a shop do my car for $250. This was all glass and only a tiny strip (eyebrow) on the windshield. Seems like a pretty good rate. As long as you confirm by the laws anyone can do it. I don't know about CA but typically the laws are about light transmission.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Unless it's a whole lot cheaper than CA, I would wait until you get back to CA because of two things:

1. You are putting a lot of faith in the company in TX to know exactly what's legal or not in CA. Even if they say it will be fine, the chances of you going back to them later on because you got busted in CA is pretty low and they know that.
    2. Any warranty claims (assuming that near future means within the warranty period) will be difficult to do unless they are a national chain and honour any warranty nation wide.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Rlouie brings up a good point about the warranty. If national no worries but if a local shop it could be bad. As far as the laws, you should be able to find them in California's law directory. I would not be worried about getting it done at a good place no matter where they are, except for that warranty. Also when are you moving back to California? I wouldn't want this Texas sun during the summer with no tint.

Thank you for your responses; yeah I agree especially if the Cops bust me in CA (had that happen once; got a $1200 ticket; couldnt win against it), that means I have to pay money to get it striped off and redone in CA. Even with a high rate place, I cant trust fully; plus the Cops would want to see if I got a certificate stating that the tint film adheres to CA laws.
    I assume I'm going to stay in Texas for about ~4 years or so; so probably after that timeframe, not too sure. Yeah, the Texas sun sucks (I live in San Antonio); but I heard the factory windows have a good tint in the rear passenger seats and the back as well as blocking out 99% UVA ray?

at this point, I don't know if I should invest in a tint job now or buy a car cover (w/heat reflection) & the OEM Subaru Sunshade (heard that does the job of keeping your car cool?

4 years!? I would definitely get it. Tint laws could change by that time. As a fellow Texan, get the tint. I got a ceramic tint and it made a very noticeable difference from stock. I have a tundra I recently acquired and you bet that will be tinted before May.

Thanks, I sent a email to the place, hopefully, they'll give me a estimate for the job.

+ Reply to Thread